Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2017, 01:18:57 AM
Home | Help | Search | Login | Register
News: SMF - Just Installed!

+  Wellness talk
|-+  General Category
| |-+  Aches and pain
| | |-+  Know About OSTEOPOROSIS
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Know About OSTEOPOROSIS  (Read 13564 times)
srimathi

View Profile
« on: November 09, 2006, 11:53:39 PM »

Recently, We crossed the day 20th October, which is the day for Osteoporosis. I have read an article in a news paper about this. i.e.  Every year 60 lakhs people are suffering in India by this.
But people havenít good knowledge about this. I gather some information about the disease and give it to all.

Osteoporosis is a condition that causes thinning and weakening of normal bone. The definition of osteoporosis is a decrease of the density of bone mass. When this occurs, a patient with osteoporosis will have weaker bones and have a higher risk of bone fracture. Osteoporosis is not arthritis, which leads to problems within joints due to cartilage wear. Instead, osteoporosis is a problem of the bone, and its ability to adequately support the weight of your body. There are two main categories of osteoporosis, 1) osteoporosis occurs only in post-menopausal women, i.e. due to estrogen deficiency and 2) osteoporosis occurs in both men and women i.e. due to aging, and calcium deficiency over many years.

When screening for osteoporosis, or trying to detect the early stages of the condition, the most useful test is called bone densiometry, or DEXA scan. While this test does require special equipment, it is safe, exposes the patient to small amounts of radiation, and is useful in detecting the early stages of osteoporosis.

Some of the common risk factors:
Being female, Advanced age, Low bone mass, Being thin or having a small frame, A sedentary lifestyle, A family history of osteoporosis, Estrogen deficiency as a result of menopause, especially early or surgically induced, Anorexia nervosa, Use of certain medications, Cigarette smoking, Excessive alcohol intake.

To Prevent this,
Get your daily recommended amounts of calcium and vitamin D,
Engage in regular weight-bearing exercise,
Avoid smoking and excessive alcohol,
Talk to your healthcare provider about bone health,
When appropriate, have a bone density test and take medication.
Email : ad@nkuw.com for advertising
poorna

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006, 09:12:20 PM »

good lord another problem to defaet us women ,but srimathi is there any herbal method or herbal remedies to reduce the onset of oesteoporosis in women

thanks poorna

srimathi

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 07:21:25 PM »

I haven't idea about herbal remedies for this. But treatment is in Ayurveda.

We can easily find out the disease, & treat it. Because of this, most affected part is Hip.
jbwala

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 02:18:38 AM »

Is there any suggetion to prevent OSTEOPOROSIS?

Recently, We crossed the day 20th October, which is the day for Osteoporosis. I have read an article in a news paper about this. i.e.  Every year 60 lakhs people are suffering in India by this.
But people havenít good knowledge about this. I gather some information about the disease and give it to all.

Osteoporosis is a condition that causes thinning and weakening of normal bone. The definition of osteoporosis is a decrease of the density of bone mass. When this occurs, a patient with osteoporosis will have weaker bones and have a higher risk of bone fracture. Osteoporosis is not arthritis, which leads to problems within joints due to cartilage wear. Instead, osteoporosis is a problem of the bone, and its ability to adequately support the weight of your body. There are two main categories of osteoporosis, 1) osteoporosis occurs only in post-menopausal women, i.e. due to estrogen deficiency and 2) osteoporosis occurs in both men and women i.e. due to aging, and calcium deficiency over many years.

When screening for osteoporosis, or trying to detect the early stages of the condition, the most useful test is called bone densiometry, or DEXA scan. While this test does require special equipment, it is safe, exposes the patient to small amounts of radiation, and is useful in detecting the early stages of osteoporosis.

Some of the common risk factors:
Being female, Advanced age, Low bone mass, Being thin or having a small frame, A sedentary lifestyle, A family history of osteoporosis, Estrogen deficiency as a result of menopause, especially early or surgically induced, Anorexia nervosa, Use of certain medications, Cigarette smoking, Excessive alcohol intake.

To Prevent this,
Get your daily recommended amounts of calcium and vitamin D,
Engage in regular weight-bearing exercise,
Avoid smoking and excessive alcohol,
Talk to your healthcare provider about bone health,
When appropriate, have a bone density test and take medication.

welln
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 10:39:46 PM »

Ensure that your intake of  calcium is sufficient.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length